Friday 7 February 2020

That Sizzling Heart

Can you hear that sizzle?
Yes, the one where my heart burns deep red,
It burns in agony
It burns in disgust
It burns in the absurdity of mindless actions
"Put your heart into it", they said
It burned and burned, with roaring flame after flame
Until one day, it could not burn anymore
For it had run out of air
It sat there in its heat - bloodied red, fuming
Until what seemed like drops of water
Was in fact an ocean of tears
Can you hear that sizzle?
It's getting louder and louder
There's smoke now, I'm choking
Coughing and spluttering and blind
And then it all settles
The heart is red no more
The heart is soft no more
The heart is now black
The heart is now hard and cold
Like a lump of coal
Only waiting to be hardened
Into what I'll soon wear as
A diamond on my finger
A girl's best friend.

Or did you just hear me sniffle?

No comments:

Post a Comment